Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Last revised and is effective as of: 01-01-2016
SpeakLife.com, ("SpeakLife" or "we") take your privacy very seriously. SpeakLife knows that you care how information about you is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly. By visiting SpeakLife.com, you are accepting the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
Information Collected by SpeakLife:
• Information Provided by You: When SpeakLife collects Personally Identifiable Information from you it is because you are voluntarily submitting registration requirements to us in order to register as a member of SpeakLife. You are required to provide information such as your name, email address, password, gender and date of birth. This information is used to set up your personal profile. As part of your personal profile, you may choose to submit additional information such as your hobbies and interests and other content, such as photos, music, videos, etc. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take full advantage of many of our features. Your date of birth allows us to show you age-appropriate content and advertisements.
Your computer uses IP addresses every time you are connected to the Internet. Your IP address is a number that is used by computers on the network to identify your computer so that data (such as the Web pages you request) can be sent to you. Our Web servers may be configured to automatically collect IP addresses in our logs. We also may record your IP address if you sign up for an account.
Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Technologies:
• "Cookies" are small bits of information that are stored in separate files within your computer's Internet browser. Cookies remember information about your activities on a website or other platform. For example, cookies can store your session for easy sign-in to a website or other platform you have previously visited. They enable us to make your use of the SpeakLife Services more enjoyable.
• “Flash cookies” In addition to the above cookies, we use Local Shared Objects, also referred to as ”flash cookies,” in connection with the SpeakLife Services, including the video player. These cookies are used to enhance your user experience, for example, by storing your user preferences and settings, such as your volume/mute settings, and in connection with animated content, including advertisements that we serve, on our website. Local Shared Objects are similar to browser cookies, but can store data more complex than simple text. By themselves, they cannot do anything to or with the data on your computer. Please note that disabling flash cookies may interfere with the performance and features of the video player.
• "Web beacons" We also may use services that collect data remotely by using so-called "pixel tags," "web beacons," "clear GIFs," or similar means (collectively, "Pixel Tags"), which can be embedded in content and advertising on the SpeakLife Services, in an email message, or on a third party's website or other platform. A Pixel Tag is a small string of code that provides a way for us to deliver a small graphic image (usually invisible) on a web page or in an email. Pixel Tags can recognize certain types of information on your browser, check whether you have viewed a particular web page or email message, and determine, among other things, the time and date on which you viewed the Pixel Tag, the IP address of your computer, and the URL of the web page from which the Pixel Tag was viewed. We may use Pixel Tags to improve your SpeakLife experience, including to provide you with content customized to your interests.
Use and Disclosure of Information:
Information about our members is an important part of our business and we are not in the business of selling, trading or renting it to others. We use the information we receive about you in connection with the services and features we provide to you and other users like your friends and the advertisers that purchase ads on the site. For example, we may use the information we receive about you:
• In order to locate other SpeakLife members that you may already know.
• SpeakLife allows members to search for friends using registration information (i.e., full name, email address, etc.).
• SpeakLife also allows members to browse for certain Profile Information in order to help connect with other members (i.e., zipcode and/or city, country where members may live).
• Information that you voluntarily make public, including by making it a part of your profile or posting it in a review or discussion on the SpeakLife Services, will be shared with other SpeakLife users. You can control the sharing of certain information contained in your SpeakLife profile or about your activities on the SpeakLife Services with others on the Privacy Settings page.
• If you have consented to receive promotional materials (e.g., newsletters) or notifications from SpeakLife, we may periodically use your email address to send you such materials.
• SpeakLife may share your personally identifiable information with those who help us manage SpeakLife services’. SpeakLife employees, agents and contractors must have a legitimate business reason to obtain access to your personally identifiable information.
• SpeakLife may use the information collected automatically, such as your IP address and information stored via cookies, to gather statistics about the number of people who visit SpeakLife and to customize SpeakLife content, layout and services. We may share this information with third parties to help us improve SpeakLife and better serve our users.
• Search engines may index the portion of a member’s profile, including the Profile Information it contains that is publicly displayed.
Social Networking Sites:
SpeakLife enables you to connect with certain third-party social networking services through the SpeakLife Services. With your consent, we may share information about your activities on SpeakLife with those services and their users. This section provides information on this sharing.
• If you connect with one of these services, you will be able to publish information about your activities on the SpeakLife Services, such as your comments or the videos you watch. Please note that when you choose to publish your information from SpeakLife to social networking services, that information will be visible to users of those services, in accordance with applicable law and the privacy policies of those services. We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the services’ privacy policies and privacy controls.
• In addition, if you visit SpeakLife while logged into one of these services, the third-party service provider may be able to identify you and to associate the technical information provided by your web browser with other information the service already has about you.
SpeakLife also may offer the SpeakLife Services on social networking websites and platforms. If you use the SpeakLife Services on a social networking website or platform, your SpeakLife profile information and information about your use of the SpeakLife Services will be shared with the social networking service and users of that service, in accordance with applicable law and the privacy policies of the services.
Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites:
SpeakLife includes third-party advertising and links to other Web sites. We do not provide any personally identifiable customer information stored by SpeakLife to these advertisers or third-party Web sites when you interact with or view a targeted advertisement.
Information Shared with Advertisers and Ad Networks. SpeakLife may share aggregate information with our advertisers so they can measure the effectiveness of advertisements viewed in connection with the SpeakLife Services. For example, we may tell advertisers the number of users who clicked on a particular advertisement.
**"Opting Out of Third-Party Behavioral Advertising" Some of these advertising companies may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"), a cooperative of online marketing companies that offers a centralized tool for opting out of behavioral advertising delivered by each of its member companies. If you would like to obtain more information about the NAI and make choices about their members’ use of your information, please click here. Also, through the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA"), several media and marketing associations have developed an industry self-regulatory program to give consumers a better understanding of and greater control over ads that are customized based on their online behavior across different websites. To make choices about interest-based ads from participating third parties, please visit the DAA consumer opt out page.**
Users who post on SpeakLife, may provide links to third party websites, which may have different privacy practices. We are not responsible for, nor have any control over, the privacy policies of those third party websites and encourage all users to read the privacy policies of each and every website visited.
We encourage you to be aware when you leave SpeakLife web site to read the privacy statements of each and every site that collects personally identifiable information.
This privacy statement applies only to information collected by SpeakLife web site.
Notice to California Residents:
Circumstances In Which SpeakLife May Release Information:
Other Parties When Required By Law or When Necessary to Protect Your Rights or Ours
• There may be instances when we may disclose your information without providing you with a choice when we believe it is appropriate to comply with the law (e.g., a lawful subpoena, warrant or court order) or with requests of law enforcement authorities; to enforce or apply this Policy or SpeakLife 's other policies or agreements; to protect SpeakLife or our users' rights, property, safety or security; to protect our users from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful use of SpeakLife Site; or if we reasonably believe that an emergency involving immediate danger of death or serious physical injury to any person requires disclosure of communications or justifies disclosure of records without delay.
• SpeakLife may also disclose information about its users to law enforcement officers or others, if you notify us that you believe your legal rights have been violated by SpeakLife or another user of the SpeakLife Services, we may provide the information that you provide to us to others to the extent that we believe it is necessary to evaluate and respond to your complaint. For instance, if you submit a notice of copyright infringement to us, we may send a copy to the person or entity who uploaded, stored, or transmitted the material addressed by the communication.
• In the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business, make a sale or transfer of assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger and substantially all of its assets are acquired, or in the unlikely event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership, your personally identifiable information generally is one of the transferred assets involved in the transaction.
Your Profile Information:
Your user profile contains information about you that you may want to share with others. The list of privacy setting for your profile includes options to provide information only to connections rather than all members. Other options allow you to specify how much and how broadly your profile information should be viewable throughout the SpeakLife network or via the web through your "Privacy Settings".
Protecting the privacy of your profile is your responsibility; We caution you not to share sensitive information (such as social security numbers, credit card numbers, or driver's license numbers) with other users whom you do not know or place such information in your profile.
SpeakLife may use profile information for the purposes of providing our services to you, such as to analyze our demographics, or to better personalize our various offerings for users.
Additionally, any information you choose to display on SpeakLife, including your profile, will be viewable by other members. Certain non-identifying information, including your “profile picture" and "user name" may be viewable by non-members.
You Control Who Shares Your Information:
Your SpeakLife profile information will only be shared with people you have specifically agreed to share such information with, and to other members of groups you choose to belong to. You can limit who can view certain personal information, such as email addresses and phone numbers. Please take into consideration that if you choose to share your personal information (including any comments, videos, photos or any other information) to other members on SpeakLife, you do so at your own risk. SpeakLife recommends that you don’t share your personal contact information.
You can choose to make your profile Private to non-members of SpeakLife by editing your profile in "Private Settings" in your "Account".
To maintain privacy it is important not to share your password with anyone. Selecting a longer password with a mix of letters and numbers makes it more difficult for others to guess your password. It is also helpful to change passwords on a regular basis.
SpeakLife is designed so that the content you generate within the network (groups, blogs, events, etc.) will have an associated privacy setting. If the information being created has its own privacy control (i.e. when creating a blog), it is the users responsibility to select the desired privacy setting upon creation. Other items may inherit an existing privacy setting. It is the user's responsibility to understand the associated privacy setting before creating content to ensure the handling of their information meets their expectations.
Information You Can Access:
SpeakLife gives you access to a broad range of information about your account and your interactions with SpeakLife for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information. Examples of information you can access easily:
• Personally Identifiable Information located in "Account Settings" (includes name, e-mail, password, location, etc.)
• E-mail Notification settings located in "Privacy Settings" under "Notifications" tab (includes Friend Request, forum subscriptions, comments, etc.)
• Shared Content settings located in "Privacy Settings" under "Profile" and "Items" tabs (includes date of birth, profile information, blogs, photos, etc.)
Cancelling Your Membership:
You always have the option to cancel your membership at any time. If you are a member and no longer wish to participate in SpeakLife.com network you can sign in to the site, at the top of the page click on "Account" then “Account Settings”; select "Cancel Account" at the bottom of the page and follow the simple instructions.
Please note that, if you terminate your account, we may retain some information about you.
Children and Age Restrictions:
At SpeakLife.com we take precautions to keep our young ones safe.
Children under the age of thirteen (13) are not eligible to use SpeakLife and are prohibited to register with SpeakLife and/or submit any personal information to us.
SpeakLife does not knowingly collect personal information from any person who is under the age of 13. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from a person under the age of 13, we will delete this information as quickly as possible. If you have reason to believe that this has occurred, please send email to email@example.com, and we will delete any such information.
Internet Awareness, Security and Confidentiality:
Whenever you voluntarily post personal information in public areas, like blogs, message boards and forums, this information can be accessed by the public and can in turn be used by others to send you unsolicited communications. SpeakLife recommends that you exercise discretion in deciding what information you disclose on the Internet.
The security of your personal information depends on your protection of your account password. Please do not disclose your account password to unauthorized people.
SpeakLife uses industry standard technology designed to help keep your personal information safe. Despite these efforts, please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the SpeakLife Services but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. For example, we cannot control any illegal and/or unforeseen activity of other users that may allow them to get around the privacy or security settings on the SpeakLife website. Consequently, you acknowledge that there are circumstances in which your personal information may be accessed by unauthorized persons.
We limit access to your personal information only to employees who we believe need to come into contact with that information in order to do their jobs in connection with the SpeakLife service.
If you become aware of any breach of data security or have any other questions about the security of our website, please send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Comments or Concerns:
We welcome your feedback. If you have any comments or concerns about this Policy or would like to contact us for any reason, you may reach us via email at email@example.com